Friday, August 7, 2026

Friday Five - Bring On The Weekend!

 

Friday Five - Bring On The Weekend!


Even in retirement, I still look forward to and love Fridays. I always plan something to differentiate Friday from the remainder of the week, so as to ensure we always have things to look forward to. 


Tonight we are going to our social club to enjoy dinner outside on the ocean-viewing patio. Tomorrow, Saturday, we are going on a long coastal walk to get to and enjoy an ocean festival without having to stress over parking. On Sunday, we plan to enjoy a picnic lunch at our harbor after first walking it. Afterward we'll be meeting up with our quarterly book club for dinner and discussion - this quarter's read was Before The Coffee Get's Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi, and it was just wonderful - so sweet, so smart, so very, very charming.


1.  I bought my girlfriend a fanny-saver. I always pack a small cold-cell pad for sitting whenever I go hiking or kayaking. The one I have is from REI and weighs just two ounces, so it's a breeze to pack and carry along. My kayaking-gal pal has long envied it when we pull out onto a sandy beach for our sack lunch break. So, as a 'thank you' for all the amazing fruit and vegetables she's brought me over the years from her garden, I recently bought one for her to enjoy, and will be giving it to her this weekend.




2. I love my Skorts. I spend so much time in workout gear, that it's nice to put away my ubiquitous yoga pants for the summer in favor of Skorts. I feel like they are one of those fashion items that were made just for senior women, even if not intentionally, and I am here for them.



I am completely au natural here, in that I snapped this just prior to heading out for an eight mile walk. And it shows! LOL

(This is my home office, BTW, which while I don't necessarily utilize as much as my husband uses his, I still very much appreciate. We have joked over the years that his 'n her offices are one of the keys to a happy marriage!)


3.  I love the detail work of travel planning. I'm deep in the weeds, currently, planning out the eight on-our-own days that will proceed our upcoming 18 day organized tour around the British Isles, and other than researching and booking the flights and hotels (which I do not enjoy!), I much enjoy the process. Currently on the planning agenda is dinner at a vegan haggis spot in Scotland, which should be very interesting (😄), a Highlands dinner show, and a tour of the Guinness factory in Dublin.


4. I took a Spin Cycle class and loved it. It's been some years since I took my last class, but I felt compelled to return in that I am working to up my endurance game in a manner that long walks and hikes do not address. The class I took didn't begin until 9:00 AM, which works perfect for me - I do not enjoy leaving the house prior to my preferred two hours of morning coffee and blog reading time!


5.  Girlfriend dates make me sooo happy. I had three this week, including this morning when I'm leaving shortly to meet one of my girlfriends for an eight mile beach walk and coffee date. I love and treasure my spouse, but I really cannot imagine life without my girlfriends, some newer, some whom I've known for decades. ❤


-----------------------------------------------


I hope you all make it a great Friday wherever you are!



2 comments:

  1. I've found the ground or rock sitting aggravates me so much more the last few years. The little pads a good idea. I'm pet sitting kitties, plus will have my daughters dog again tonight and tomorrow. He's a great walking companion so I think I'll venture to one of the rivers, which while busier on weekends, I prefer because parts of the paths are isolated and it just feels better seeing other walkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To your last point, Sam - yes, yes and yes! As women, sh#t happens, and I likewise refuse to be anywhere remotely isolated if on my own. Even here, as coastal-populated as we are, there have been instances on stretches of walking paths that can be remote. And one of the reasons I so enjoy kayaking and SUP'ing - I do feel safe on my own when on water.

      Your weekend plans should very lovely and sweet. Someday perhaps, because I love animals, but now is not the right time given our travels.

      Delete