Friday Five - Kicking Large Entities To The Curb
I had a bit of an 'ah ha' this week, when I had to untangle a couple of problems that involved having to interact with large companies that had made it almost impossible to get to a live person. Going forward I'm going to be even more resolute about who and what I do business with.
Friday Five
1. I fought a corporate machine and won. A national gym brand closed their location closest to us, so in early 2025 we cancelled our membership and joined a locally run gym just up the street. Out of the blue, a renewal fee of $250 from the 2025 cancelled gym membership hit our credit card, which after almost two hours and multiple calls attempting to connect with the correct person by phone, was resolved in our favor and removed.
Lesson learned: The moment an entity is provided with our credit card, they now can potentially jerk us around, and thus other than paying for a good or service on the spot, we will simply no longer do.
2. I eliminated every non essential auto-renew and auto-charge item in our budget, including to my spouse's religious entity of choice. After my unpleasant experience above, I went over our remaining renewing bills and my spouse has agreed that the only ones we will leaving in place going forward are for utilities and our HOA, because those are tied to documented ownership of our home. I'm no longer giving up sole control of our financial life going forward, even if it saves us a few bucks. My time is more valuable that a few dollars saved here and there, not to mention lessening my stress level. Between phone trees, auto prompts, bots, and AI, having to make a phone call to a business is an increasingly awful ordeal.
3. Only businesses that have brick & mortar locations, and that answer their phone will get my business going forward. This includes online ordering as well. If they 'exist' in real life I'll continue to order, if they don't I won't.
Amaz*n has a presence at our local Wh°le Foods, and Targ#t and H^me Depot have stores here as well. So I'm well covered in spite of my new self-imposed requirement.
4. Sat outside for the first time in weeks. Our weather has taken a pleasant turn recently, with humidity dropping and coastal breezes returning, and we resumed our habit of sitting outside before dinner, sipping sparkling water while chatting and/or reading.
5. Booked a New Years cruise to the Caribbean. Since we'll be in Tennessee with our family for the Xmas holidays, we decided to add on a New Years cruise in that flying from Tennessee to Florida to do cruise is a short flight. We are cruising to the Western Caribbean, and have signed up for excursions that include close up encounters with dolphins, giant sea turtles, manatees, snorkling with 'gentle' sting rays, and a foodie tour. Excited.
------------------------------------------------------
Off shortly to enjoy an 8 mile beach walk with spouse, after which we'll share a well-earned burger. I wish you an enjoyable day as well, wherever you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment