Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Wednesday Wellness - August #3

 Wednesday Wellness - August #3


It was a decent week, but I have much room still for improvement, so there are several things I'll continue to focus on this upcoming week. 


Fitness:

- Do cardiovascular movement five days out of seven. 

  • Week #3 results: 
    • In that I was out of commission a day and a half due to a minor medical procedure, I'm more than satisfied with my results. I did cardio 5 out of 7 days, for a total of 23 miles of walking.


- Do strength training at the gym three days each week.

  • Week #3 results
    • Did strength training at the gym 0 times. But, I am determined to do better, and I vow to myself here that I will.

Newly added for upcoming weeks:

- Do planking, squats, and push ups daily at home, track progress.


Weight:

- Continue to remain within my self-set maintenance range of 108 - 110 pounds. 

  • Week #3 weigh in:  109.0. Weight maintenance is much easier at this point. The changes I've made to my eating lifestyle are feeling increasingly hard wired, and close to feeling like habits, not efforts.


Water:

- Consistently consume four glasses a day.

  • Week #3 results: Still averaging between 2 - 3 glasses a day, but already not drinking water is beginning to feel uncomfortable. Still working to figure out when to cease water in the PM however, so I'm not up repeatedly during the night!


Long Range Goal:

- Find a long distance event to sign up and train for. 

  • Found my race - A 10k (6.2 miles) Thanksgiving Day run. I'll start a formal eight week training program in October, but for now I've simply begun running short segments of my walks to see how it feels. It actually feels good, even as its not easy.  I can run, but boy am I slower that I used to be. And I wasn't particularly fast even in my peak running years, so I definitely have my work cut out. Still, even running as slow as molasses as I am currently, it feels good.


--------------------------------------------

Leaving shortly for an eight mile walk with my girlfriend, after which we'll share lunch somewhere tasty. Looking forward to both the activity, the conversation, and the lovely calmness that will descend on me afterward for the remainder of my day.


2 comments:

  1. Well done. Im working on strength and endurance but no races or events to train for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that having goals keeps me incentivized and excited, so that's the main reason for setting one for running. My strength has definitely slipped, however, so I'm so happy to hear that you are focusing on that, Sam. Over here, I was shocked at how weak my arms were when I attempted to scale the rock wall with my granddaughters on our recent cruise. My dad at 90, however? He lifts weights daily, and he scaled all the way to the top of the rock wall without difficulty

      Delete