Monday Musings 10/8
Welcome to Monday Musings, where I share a bit of what's been going on in my little part of the world. However, I need to be a bit quick with this one . . . Monday is close to being over already!
1) I attended a full day training session over the weekend, and I am now t h i s close to being a certified O-2 Sierra Club wilderness leader. The O-2 designation means I can lead hikes and backpacks on developed trails in our local mountains. The training session was long, but very, very interesting. Firstly, I really enjoyed the energy of the other people taking the course, about 1/3 of them my age, and about 2/3 of them appearing to be in their 20's and 30's. They had youth and strength, but those of us that were older had considerable experience, so when we were broken up into groups for some of the time, we all meshed terrifically well.
|Doing what I most love to do, our beloved dog Lady by my side.|
I love the outdoors so, so much, and it's where I feel my most authentic self, so I'm very pleased to be training to be a volunteer for a wilderness organization I greatly admire. I do still need to select, advertise and lead a hike of my making before being full appointed, which I'm in the midst of designing now, and thoroughly enjoying.
2) I've started a new routine in the morning of leaving all electronics in my office, and instead waking up with just my coffee mug, the sunrise out of the windows, and my Sarah Ban Breathnach books, Simple Abundance and Something More: Excavating Your True Self.
Not only am I feeling enriched and enlightened as I start my day, I no longer get sucked into the vortex of online pursuits. It feels great, and I'm finding that I'm getting a lot more accomplished each day.
3) Along with the above, I made the difficult decision to ask that my blog link be removed from one of my favorite blogging sites, Satisfying Retirement, operated by my dear friend Bob Lowry. Bob's site is the real deal, he works very, very hard on his excellent posts, and he has a well deserved, large following as a result. He was extremely kind to post a link to my blog the moment he learned I'd started one up again, and I was, and am, very, very appreciate. However, I found myself worrying that either I wasn't putting up enough posts, or that the ones I did put up were kind of 'fluffy' so I ultimately decided I really did just want to be an under-the-radar blogger with no sense of pressure, and asked to be taken down.
I love my cadre of female bloggers, however (you know who you are!), so hopefully my blog listing on their sites will all continue.
4) I've been so busy with all my usual activities, I finally just got around today to perusing the itinerary for our upcoming trip to Japan. Oh. My. Gosh. The itinerary looks amazing! So many new sights and experiences coming our way - Tokyo, Mt. Fuji, a Geisha village, an overnight in a traditional tatami inn, bullet trains, sake tasting, sushi making demo, temples, a tea ceremony, zen gardens, and a castle among other things.
I'll be posting lots and lots of photos on Instagram as WestCoastTamara as we move through the trip.
5) And finally, I made myself sit down and go through a ton of emails I'd been ignoring, and as a result our calendar is now full to pretty much bursting. In clearing through them, we now have athletic, social and entertainment engagements scheduled well into 2019. Rather than feeling stressed by all that is now on my calendar, I instead feel blessed. It's a wonderful thing to have options, and people we care about to do them with. As challenging as much of 2018 turned out to be, I feel like a real corner has been turned, and that there is now a whole, whole lot to look forward to.
That's it for today's Monday Musings, but would love to know what's running through your heads this morning, so please do feel free to share some of your musings below!