Welcome to Monday Musings, where I share a bit of what's been going on in my little part of the world. And I have to tell you guys that I am so, so relieved to be putting up this post! Why, you ask? See item #1 below!
This Week's Monday Musings
1. Our balcony expansion and patio cover were approved by the city this afternoon, hip, hip hooray! Oh my goodness what a process! A full eight weeks from start to finish, involving far more players than I care to ever, ever have to coordinate again going forward - our contractor, our HOA, an architect, a structural engineer, and most challenging of all, our bureaucratic city planning department. Not to mention having no clue what any of them did or needed, instead having to simply trust. And write checks of course!
But all's well that ends well, and we are now officially on our way to having a beautiful new backyard that serves to maximize our gorgeous views and provide a wonderful new space in which to entertain. When all is said and done we'll have a total of five new outdoor places in which to relax, take in the views, and entertain - a space off our family room, off our downstairs master, off our upstairs master, and two spaces adjacent to our rear property line, the area that now has clear views to the ocean. Plus our upstairs balcony, which also has beautiful ocean views, will now have a staircase leading down to the yard for easy up and down outside access. So excited to see it all start to take shape!
2. We have been receiving regular visits from our resident roadrunner. In that this guy seems to enjoy hopping up onto our backyard perimeter post in order to fluff feathers, I'm guessing it's a male trying to attract a female roadrunner. He is so cute as he preens and gazes out into the canyon, occasionally emitting a very distinctive and loud call out.
3. We attended a grunion run at the beach this past Friday night. We showed up at 10:00 PM for a ranger talk about what to expect, along with about 70 other people, many of them families, then wandered down to the water at 11:00 PM to await the grunion. The ranger had said that first to show up would be the Night Heron, and goodness did they. It was so exciting to sit quietly on the sand and watch the Night Heron fly in and land along the water's edge to await the first wave of grunion 'scouts' and enjoy a bit of easy feeding. Then, finally, just before midnight it started. Masses of grunion began to arrive with each set of waves and it became an instant party. After sitting quietly in the dark for about an hour, flashlights came on as everyone excitedly rushed onto the wet sand to experience this amazing phenomenon known as a grunion run. So interesting, so exciting, so much fun, and so very glad we made the effort.
Here's a short video explaining just exactly what a grunion run is all about:
4. My oldest daughter and I had a lovely night out at a restaurant in Laguna Beach as a belated Mother's Day present. I was back in D.C. with my other daughter over Mother's Day, hence the delay. It was a gorgeous evening, so we sat outside as we ate, and we just talked and talked. She and I had a painful transition through her teens and early adulthood, so to now be at a place where we genuinely love and enjoy each other's company continues to be a gift that I think we both treasure about the same amount. She left me this sweet message on Facebook on Mother's Day, which I'll treasure forever: Happy Mother’s Day! You continue to be my inspiration and the person I want to share the highlights of my life with. I love you mom!
|A belated Mother's Day celebratory slice of carrot cake. As good as it looks!|
5. I have been at the beach almost every single day this past week! I've gone walking in both San Clemente and Dana Point, attended the above grunion run at Doheny State Beach, had dinner in Laguna Beach, worked a volunteer shift at the Dana Point Harbor, and am meeting a girlfriend in San Clemente for a walk and breakfast date tomorrow morning.
|These views never, ever get old.|
That's it for today's Monday Musings, but would love to know what's running through your heads this morning, so please do feel free to share some of your musings below!