Hello out there! We've been entertaining house guests for the last seven days straight, and it's been a bit hectic. All good, though, and since today we say goodbye to our current guests (the second of two in a row), life should be slowing down enough for me to get back to blogging here.
So to kick things off, here are some Monday Musings that are rattling around my head at the moment.
1) I've been putting together little Happy Hour Charcuterie Boards each day for our guests, and it's been fun! I'd accumulated a variety of wooden cutting boards over the years, so I pulled a few out and just started arranging away. It doesn't seem to matter what you put out on them, it somehow all ends up looking rather pretty.
|This one had three dips/toppers, an olive tapenade, a blue cheese spread, and hummus,|
plus some thinly sliced baguettes and veggies.
|This one had a variety of sliced cheeses, plus nuts and dried fruit, along with some crackers.|
And here's a link sharing some examples of how to do one of your own: How to make a charcuterie cheese and meat plate.
2. We've been at the beach pretty much every single day this past week with our various houseguests, and it's been glorious. From hiking to a hill overlooking Laguna Beach in order to enjoy an al fresco sack lunch, to sitting at the harbor watching boats sail in and out while enjoying coffee and bagels, to a rocking and rolling whale watch excursion out in the open seas, we've experienced the ocean as if we were visiting here for the first time, and it's been delightful.
|Walking along the cliffs in Laguna Beach.|
|Sailing out of Dana Point Harbor.|
|Walking to the San Clemente Pier under stormy skies.|
3. The weather should be warm enough here this week to leave our doors and windows open, turn on our outdoor fountain, and sit outside for dinner on a few occasions.
Even though winter in California isn't much to complain about, it's still a wonderful thing to see a series of increasingly warm and sunny days coming our way!
4. I'm at this strange phase of life where I seem to only be able to watch documentaries rather than feature films. However, as a result, I've recently seen two that were absolutely excellent, and both available for streaming via Netflix:
- This 2018 Oscar winning documentary Icarus, about pervasive doping in the world of athletics:
- And this excellent documentary, How The Beatles Changed The World, containing never before viewed footage that impressed even our very knowledgeable, former-radio DJ houseguest.
5. Having guests for days on end has been hard on my diet, to say the least! I'm looking forward to getting back to more normal, lighter, eating as to date I'm pretty sure I've made zero progress on shedding those 10 pounds I have as one of my goals for 2018. Much more on this to follow as I finally get serious, but for now, I'll be reactivating my account at Spark People, a fun, easy, motivating, and totally free website that helps folk set dietary goals and track their progress. If you have any sort of lifestyle health goals such as losing weight, increasing your daily exercise, improving the quality of your diet, or even just getting more sleep, I think you'll find it a most helpful tool.
And free! Did I mention it's free? (I love free!)