Saturday, October 21, 2017

Autumn Bucket List - Update #1


Welcome to Update #1 of how I'm doing on my 10 Things Autumn Bucket List!

So already I am feeling much better about limiting my Autumn Bucket List to just 10 items. Not only are they much easier to keep track of and schedule, it has taken a bit of the pressure off that I self-created when making my prior seasonal lists much longer. I may find myself revved right back up come winter, but for now the size of my Autumn list feels positively perfect!

And just like the last time, I'm linking up with a group of other terrific bloggers to share Autumn Bucket List updates from those of us in the northern hemisphere, plus Spring Bucket Lists from the gals Down Under, so be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to see who else is participating, and to visit their blogs for additional change-of-season inspiration.


Progress Report #1 for 10 Things On My Autumn Bucket List
  1. Celebrate my granddaughter's 3rd birthday! Yes! We celebrated by taking her to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, Maryland, where we had an absolutely fabulous time together. She loved everything about the aquarium, from the touch tank filled with touchable sea jellies, to the dolphin training show, to the scuba divers cleaning the enormous tide pool tank - and yes, following the scuba divers around the tank provided enormous entertainment!

  2. Roast marshmallows with granddaughter. Yes! She loved, loved, loved roasting them, but the eating of them not so much. Turns out she prefers her marshmallows straight from the package!

    Once I cleaned off the charred outer layer, she was game to give a nibble!
  3. Attend a Halloween event. Yes! We attended an event at our beloved Ocean Institute, and had a really terrific time. We ended up at a table with two other couples near our age, and had so much fun that at the end of the evening we all exchanged emails and agreed to meet up again at a nearby restaurant that hosts live music on the weekends. Score!
  4. Attend an Octoberfest event. In Process. We have tickets to an event that will be occurring next week.
  5. Make three new soups. In Process. I made this Lemony Chicken And Rice Soup with a few alterations. Firstly, I left out the egg yolks, which substantially reduced the calories in this otherwise calorie-light soup. As a result, I think it's better suited for nights when you are looking for a light meal, or as a lunchtime soup, which is what I ended up doing after first attempting to serve it for dinner - My spouse ended up hungrily devouring some peanut butter on crackers a little bit later in the evening! I also kept the rice separate from the soup, adding it to each bowl separately, so as not to have the rice absorb all the soup's liquid. The soup really was delicious in spite of all of my above disclaimers; absolutely chock full of flavor!
    From official website.
  6. Cook or bake something with pumpkin in it. Pending. 
  7. Finish reading Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton. In Process. Slogging my way through this very long book, slowly but surely! I'm currently at 20%, with five weeks still to go before we attend the actual live performance in Los Angeles next month.
  8. Listen to Hamilton soundtrack. In Process. I have it loaded onto my computer, and I've been reading through the song lyrics one by one, keeping pace with my reading of the above book. I'll start playing the music this week throughout the house now that the last of the contractors has departed.
  9. Run the Dana Point Turkey Trot. In Process. My older daughter and her significant other are registered, now the rest of us just need to get our acts together!
  10. Take a family photo on Thanksgiving Day.  Pending.

My count indicates that so far I have three of my 10 items completed, five more in process, and just two still pending. I think it's looking good for 100% completion this time around, so be sure to check back on November 21 for my next Autumn Bucket List Update!


14 comments:

  1. Great progress on your goals! It sounds like you make fun memories with your granddaughter. I'm fortunate that our daughter lives close to both sets of her grandparents and will have these opportunities too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, you warmed my heart with your reference to our making warm memories with our granddaughter! Since they moved across country last summer we've tried to get back every two months or so, because we miss her ( and her mama and papa ☺ ) sooo much.

      Delete
  2. You're a lot further than I am! Ha ha! I used to love the aquarium in Baltimore! I wish we could take the kids there one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing museum for sure, so hopefully you will get there one day soon!

      We also love, love, love the Aquarium in Monterey, California if that's any closer to you!

      Delete
  3. Marshmallow roasting with your granddaughter sounds like lots of fun and the soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon, Juhli, your's will be there before you know it, and our state is positively loaded with child-friendly things to explore!

      The soup really was lovely, just a bit light in calories for a supper soup. It has fresh fennel in addition to lots of other lovely fresh herbs and veggies, which infused a wonder flavor throughout.

      Delete
  4. Going to check out the soup recipe as I love soup of all consistencies and flavors. But I have to throw in mucho meat into the soups I make for PC so he feels like he is 'eating' vs. drinking his dinner. He needs that chew.

    Your grandbabe is adorable. Love the fleck of marshmallow on her cheek. My Cady is all about roasting the marshmallows but not terribly interested in eating the s'mores which is dangerous for the rest of us as we eat her share.

    The excursion to the aquarium sounds delightful. I haven't been to but one aquarium so should find one to visit. I hear the Albuquerque Aquarium is nice...might be something to do with my youngest grandbabe next visit there.

    Hurray for making new friends at the Halloween event. Your life is so full, such a mix of philanthropic and social and family activities. Always enjoy reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome home Leslie! (Or is that premature?!) Thank you again for getting us started down this road, as I feel like creating each season's bucket list has really elevated my life!

      I was a tiny bit concerned that our newly three year old would get bored at a place where you primarily 'look,' but she loved it. We let her determine at what speed we went through, and circled back as often as she wished. She went for four solid hours before starting to show signs of being tired. Of course, by then we were absolutely exhausted!

      Lot's of energy being exerted to make connections in our new area for sure, but looking back I see I learned much from having to do the same when we retired in 2011/2012. It's going much more quickly this time as a result, in that I learned from prior mistakes what worked vs what didn't.

      I do love the life we are creating, a blend of old friends/activities and new friends/activities, and am excited at what is still to come as we continue to settle in.

      Delete
  5. I think 10 is a perfect number for three months, and the items on your list sound delightful. I'm with your granddaughter on not loving roasted marshmallows, but loving the process of making them. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Hamilton. Enjoy the rest of your fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was just deeply tired after so many months of reno's here at our new home, but you know what? I'm considerably more rested now, so I'm already thinking my Winter list will be a lot longer, ha! :-)

      Re: Hamilton - the whole family, minus the granddaughter, are attending over two separate days, so at the very least it will give us something to talk about for months, if not years. Trying to keep my expectations low so as not to be disappointed. The book has been extremely compelling, so it will be interesting to see which segments make it into the play, and how they're interpreted.

      Delete
  6. You're well on your way with your list, Tamara. Family time together, and the wonderful memories you're creating with your granddaughter are the best. Keep on having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing my best to live big, Natalie, and appreciate you are apparently traveling for me this year!

      Delete
  7. Going to the aquarium with your granddaughter sounded so fun! 3 is definitely a fun age. I bet an even better age when you are the grandparent. Mine turns 4 in just over a month. Mmmmm, roasted marshmallows. I love them, but they can't be burned black, they must be slow roasted an a nice yellow colour. My daughter and husband usually eat them straight up because I take to long to make them. Haha. Thanks for sharing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three is so much fun as the Nana, not the Mama! As the Mama I was focused, worried, involved, as the Nana I'm just all about loving her to pieces!

      Definitely think our granddaughter is way more about the roasting, which is fine as long as she's having fun with her Nana (and her Baba ;-).

      Delete