A Rare Catching Up Day
In checking my Google Calendar this morning, today is the only totally clear day I see on my calendar until the middle of October. How and when did that happen, exactly???
We've been in our home for just over a month, and little by little we've been working to improve the house, join clubs and organizations, meet our neighbors, and meet and contract with flooring, painting, window and window covering vendors, which has culminated in our calendar beginning to crowd up. Add in two upcoming trips that are two weeks long each, and suddenly life has gone from seemingly zero to one hundred mph. (I know, I know, when was it ever zero??? But I think you get my drift.)
In some ways it feels like we've been in a period of waiting since moving in here early in July. I think that is largely due to our not being able to fully settle in due to the large amount of work remaining to be done in the house. For every nicety we've put into place since arriving - new plumbing, new plumbing fixtures, new lighting, new sod, new sprinklers, new ceiling fans - there is an equal amount of ugliness still needing to be rectified/replaced - ugly carpet, damaged wood flooring, hideous old single pane windows, sliders and screens, and walls and ceilings that all need to be painted. Today, however, is the last day that I'll have to be bothered by these remaining items, because starting tomorrow we'll simply be too busy to ruminate further.
Here's a little overview of what's coming up in our suddenly busy lives:
Remainder of August
- Installation of three new French door sliders
- Installation of new flooring in all four bathrooms, plus laundry room
- Volunteer training sessions at the Dana Point Ocean Institute, book club meetings, several social events related to our UU congregations, hiking dates with friends and each other, several free concerts in the park, a free Shakespeare in the park production, a return visit to the Laguna Beach Arts Festival, and a visit to the Laguna Beach Sawdust Festival, both free due to having attended the Pageant of the Masters earlier in the month.
- Yoga retreat with my daughter
- Two week RV'ing trip with our best friends that will start with four days of backpacking, then continue on to include visiting and wine tasting our way through the Sonoma/Napa region, and exploring and hiking in the Santa Cruz mountains.
- Continuation of above RV'ing trip, returning home over Labor Day weekend.
- Demolition of all remaining flooring
- Painting of entire interior of house, including closets and cabinetry (excepting kitchen, where cabinetry is newer)
- Installation of remaining windows, approximately 20 in all.
- Installation of new maple hardwood flooring
- Installation of new window treatments - a combination of white 3" shutters, and custom shades, depending. All the non- rear facing windows will be shuttered, all the windows facing our amazing view will get custom roll up shades that will 'disappear' into mounted valence boxes.
- Installation of custom office cabinetry in my husbands home office.
- Delivery of our new living room sofas
- Delivery of my new office furniture.
- Two outdoor concert events, plus the 'usual' assortment of UU services, book clubs, social activities, and club runs.
- Two week trip back to the east coast to see our family and celebrate my granddaughters 3rd birthday.
At that point, in mid-October, the house should be show and company ready, and we have a long list of entertaining invites ready to send out which should carry us right up to and through the winter holidays.
I know it's still only August, but I have to say it feels like 2018 is literally right around the corner, and that it will be here almost before I can blink. As life changing as 2017 has been, I see 2018 as a welcoming return to normal, meaning more travel, more time with family and friends, and less time obsessing over our home!
Plans And Goals For Today
- Return library books, and pick up next month's book club selections.
- Do laundry.
- Reschedule Road Scholar trips (we are changing our two 2018 international trips to two domestic ones, so that we can instead use those funds to redo our backyard, what should be our last remaining major home improvement project.).
- Cancel 2018 New England cruise (see above),
- Plan out days for 2018 RV'ing trip to Utah and Colorado.
- Research companies that do closet organizing builds.
- Update Summer Bucket List blog post.
Make it a great day wherever you are!