Thursday, April 27, 2017

Spring Bucket List - Update #1


Welcome to Progress Report #1 of how I'm doing on my 20 Things Spring Bucket List! In that we just got home from our recent one month stay on the east coast last night, I think I made a decent amount of progress. And had lots of fun doing so - I am an extraordinary lover of lists so this project was right up my alley and I'm having a whole lot of fun working my way through them, one by one.

And just like the last time, I'm linking up with a group of other terrific bloggers to share Spring Bucket List updates, so be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to see who else is participating, and to visit their blogs for additional spring inspiration.

Progress Report #1 for 20 Things On My Spring Bucket List
  1. Make a batch of low-sugar jam with spring berries. Yes! I snatched up four 6 oz containers of fresh blackberries when they went on sale for $.88 each, and made Sunset Recipe's Blackberry Lime Jam, a super easy and super delicious refrigerator jam. It freezes beautifully, so I put one jar in the refrigerator, and the rest in the freezer to enjoy later. 
  2. Grill spring artichokes. Pending.
  3. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner outside at least once. In Process. Ate lots of meals outside during month one, particular during our week at Kiawah Island Resort, so I just need to be sure to keep this up over the next two months.
  4. Make three new cocktails. Pending.
  5. Make three new BBQ dinners. Pending.
  6. Try three new restaurants. In Process. We visited lots of new restaurants while on our recent trip, but I'm only counting 'at home' restaurants for this Bucket List item, so the first new restaurant that qualifies is The Coliseum Grill at The Resort at Pelican Hill, which we visited in March. The food was very good (not quite excellent), but the wine and views were outstanding. I'd return for drinks and appetizers for sure, but likely not for dinner. (Coincidentally, as I was searching for the restaurant's URL to create the link above, I received an e-voucher good for a free appetizer simply by signing up for their e-newsletter. Sweet!) 

  7. Take a family picture during our vacation in Kiawah Island. Yes! Our son-in-law had to return to work early, but we managed to get a photograph of everyone else. From left to right we have our granddaughter, youngest daughter, me, husband, and oldest daughter. So happy we did this!
  8. Make three lunch dates with girlfriends. Pending.
  9. Join a yoga studio . . . and go! Pending.
  10. Strength train two times each week. In Process. I did this consistently the week before we left, and also during our stay in Kiawah Island, because it included usage of the resort gym. Now that we're home again, I plan to get right back to it. 
  11. Take six bike spinning classes. Pending.
  12. Bicycle at the beach. Pending.
  13. Kayak. Pending.
  14. Lose 10 pounds. Pending. We just returned home from our trip, so if I held steady with all the eating we did - I'm talking to you Charleston - I'll consider that job well done for the time we were away.
  15. Sell or giveaway all our old motorcycling gear now that our motorcycles are sold. Pending.
  16. Clean out garage rafters. Yes! And bonus points for finding a box of old photos from back in the day when I turned film in for developing, receiving not not only prints, but duplicates back in return. One set of prints were always placed immediately into photo books, but the duplicate sets simply got tossed into a box for 'later' in the event that anyone needed to use, glue or cut up them up for misc school projects. In that my daughters have long since graduated from high school, I was able to toss out pretty much the entire box.
  17. Volunteer three times. Pending.
  18. Read one book for pleasure each month (Book club selections don't count!). In Process.  For my first book/month I read Still Alice by Lisa Genova, which I very much enjoyed. I did not see the recent movie, so I came to this with no prior knowledge of it's content, other than that it was about a woman with Alzheimers. I was surprised to learn that it was actually about early-onset Alzheimers (not a plot spoiler, honest - it's part of the basic novel jacket description), which I didn't even know existed. I therefor found the book extremely compelling, and I thought the author did a terrific job of allowing the reader to experience Alzheimers from the perspective of the person inflicted, vs the perspective of the caretaker. A bit like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, which allows the reader to experience autism in a similar manner, i.e., from the inside out, rather than the outside in. 
  19. Join Spanish discussion group to keep up with my language studies. Pending.
  20. Find a new online Spanish tutor focused on Advanced Beginners. Pending.
My count indicates that so far I have three of my 20 items completed, four more in process, and 13 still pending. Keeping in mind we traveled almost the entirety of the first month of spring, I'm confident that now that we are back home I'll make steady progress prior to my next update in May, so be sure to stay tuned!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful family!! Loved Still Alice!! Make three new cocktails...YUM! Can't wait to find out what they are!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just picked out my first 'new' cocktail, which I'll be making and drinking with my hubby on Sunday night. It's from my Michael Chiarello cookbook and looks yum!

      Delete
  2. I like that you have a lot of healthy things on your list: kayak, yoga, strength train, bicycle, spin... but you still include things like lunch with friends and cocktails! A good balanced life! Love the family pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try Sheila! But after eating our way through the South, the gym needs more time for sure, now that we are home!

      Delete
  3. I like your list, full with fun and stimulating activities. I'd love to bike at the beach, or learn to kayak when the weather is warmer here. The "beach" closest to me is by Lake Ontario! Lovely family pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayaking is easy-breezy, you should definitely give it a go in one of the many lakes surrounding you. I don't care to kayak in the open ocean - a little too unnerving for me - I stick to our harbors and inland canals, plus lakes when we travel.

      Delete
  4. So glad that the family photo was one of the completed activities. Such a treasure. You have a beautiful family.

    Your jam looks scrumptious. What a delicious combo - lime and raspberry. Mmmm.

    Yay, you for selling the motorcycle stuff and cleaning out the rafters. I have barely run the vacuum in a month. And you can sure tell! Working interferes with everything else. Have sure enjoyed it but will be glad to be out for the summer.

    Thank you for joining up with us. Can't wait to see your progress next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie, thanks for stopping by! The jam - oh yes, so good, and the lime brings a very nice component. It's also pretty terrific on ice cream. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love seeing all the pending progress you have made. I wish I would have made more of a to do list like you did instead of just fun things. I love a list and they help me get things done. I tried to make jam once and it was a disaster. My mom, however, makes fig preserves each year and it turns out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth about the list bringing accountability? I would have never pushed to make the jam prior to flying out for our trip had it not been on my list! And this is just refrigerator jam, so very, very easy, and not the more complex exercise that 'normal' canned jam is. Meaning, it has to be kept in the fridge and eaten within 30 days, or frozen till needed, as it can't sit out on a shelf.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you are doing well on your list. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun project, and I'm already thinking of what I'd like to try and accomplish for my summer bucket list!

      Delete
  7. That jam sounds amazing! I'll be scoping that recipe out, for sure! And hooray for good food in Charleston! I'm in Savannah, a similar city, and I just can't over ALL the amazing restaurants here! Still Alice just blew me away when I read it. Such a good book! I'm enjoying see how everyone is doing on their lists! See you next month, if not before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did love Charleston, and have plans to get down to Savannah as well in the next year or two. Such beautiful, historic, foodie cities - what's not to love, right??

      Delete