Thursday, April 6, 2017

March In A Sentence A Day


Greetings! Today I'm joining in with some other fab bloggers to share how we spent our month in just one sentence a day. Editing myself down to just a single sentence was tough, I discovered - apparently it's much easier for me to be wordy than concise! And, although I did manage to limit each day to just one sentence, there might be a few that qualify as run-ons. (Insert blush emoji here)

Poor sentence structuring not withstanding, it was really interesting to look back and see how the month went. My takeaway is that while it was a pretty diverse month, I think it could have been even more so with just a little additional effort. So I'm doubling down in April . . . stay tuned!

Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to see who else is participating,
and to visit their blogs for additional March Sentence A Day inspiration!

March In A Sentence A Day
  1. I am so thankful for the technology that let me 'attend' an art class broadcast live from the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington DC.
  2. Attended my bi-weekly Chalice Circle, where 12 people share on a variety of topics in a safe, non-judgemental gathering. 
  3. Hosted my niece and her friend, both in for the weekend from Texas. 
  4. Enjoyed a long, hilly hike with my niece and her friend, followed by a delicious late breakfast afterward at one of my favorite OC breakfast cafes, Alicia's Cookery.
  5. Booked back-to-back early 2018 trips to New Zealand and Australia with Road Scholar, plus Fiji and American Samoa as on-our-own extensions. 
  6. Enjoyed an eight mile hike with my spouse under perfect 70 degree winter-blue skies. 
  7. Had lunch with a friend who may not succeed in overcoming her battle with lung cancer, which put my life into perspective pronto.
  8. Backyard re-landscaping project finally completed!
  9. Enjoyed a gorgeous, sunny walk along Seal Beach this afternoon, prior to meeting our daughter for dinner at her nearby apartment.
  10. Attended a wine tasting dinner with our wine society featuring a viticulture talk and pours from the winemaker at Alexander Valley Vineyards.
  11. Enjoyed a fun drinks & dinner get together with friends that got even more fun after we'd all enjoyed some Moscow Mules.
  12. After returning home from our third night out in a row, this time a Mardi Gras-themed jazz festival, agreed that we're no longer up to burning the candle at both ends!
  13. Incredibly interesting book club discussion about John Steinbeck's The Winter of Our Discontent, which turned out to be a compelling study of the ramifications of our choices when they are less than moral.
  14. Lazy, do-not-much day. the result of the house being torn up again for our latest remodeling project, leaving me no place to land.
  15. A great discussion over dinner with our movie group about the recently Oscar-nominated film Lion. 
  16. Toured a fabulous Pop Art Exhibit at the OC Museum of Art, with my art alliance group, followed by lunch at Tommy Bahama Newport Beach, which unfortunately ended on a less-than-positive note when one of my tablemates insisted on bringing up politics. 
  17. Listened to Pandora on my new iPhone for the first time during a six mile race walk, meaning current, fast, pop music the entire time.
  18. Fabulous musical concert and Mexican food dinner with a big group of friends from our Lifelong Learning program.
  19. Did a glorious eight hike in our recently reopened neighborhood state park, closed for months due to rare, non-stop S. California winter rainstorms.
  20. Excited - our new office cabinetry started going in!
  21. Depressed - discovered that the change order for our office countertops got misfiled, so completion will not be occurring today as originally scheduled. 
  22. Motivated to raise the bar on the adventurous side of life after attending the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour tonight.
  23. Attended a very funny musical, Something Happened On The Way To The Forum, by Stephen Sondheim.
  24. Dinner with our Foreign Foods group at an Irish Pub with delicious cocktails; Macallans Public House
  25. Sent my husband off solo to The Metropolitan Opera - Live in HD event we had tickets for in order to stay home, boo, because installation of our office hardwood flooring got moved from the 24th to today at the last minute.
  26. Dinner at the scenic Coliseium Grill, located poolside at The Resort at Pelican Hill.
  27. Packed, emptied the fridge and printed lots of docs for our upcoming trip.
  28. Flew to metro-DC to see our granddaughter, yeah!
  29. Watched Played with our granddaughter all day while Mom and Dad were at work . . . so fun!
  30. A very patriotic visit to Fort McHenry, the place where Francis Scott Key penned The Star Spangled Banner during the War of 1812.
  31. Spent rainy day inside doing detailed trip planning for our upcoming overnight stays in Wilmington, NC, Charleston, SC and Richmond, VA.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had quite a few high points in March!

    And isn't it interesting how we want to write "extended" sentences...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, thank you for visiting . . . this is such a fun link up, and I'm so excited to be in linking in for the first time! And yes, writing concise sentences are definitely a challenge for me!

      Delete
  2. How fun that you joined in this month too Tamara!!
    I always say that home projects take at least twice the time you plan---there's always something that goes wrong!!
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodie, welcome, and happy to see another retiree in the group, particular in that you focus on 50+ fashions!

      Oh yes, those home projects . . . we've been working on them since December, and once we finish up at the end of this month, may we not have to do so again for a good long time!

      Delete
    2. Jodie, you can say that again. Our pool has been a comedy of errors.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining us, so I'm reading through this and I see O.C. and think she lives somewhere were there is an OC too, I think there is one in Florida, then I click on the Alicia's link, you know to fully stalk you and see where you live in the country, and there is no address for the restaurant, but looking at the pictures it looks like PieceMakers in Costa Mesa? I've never eaten there, but it always smells so good. We are a hop skip and jump away from each other. How fun! I hope you join in the fun next month too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yep, I'm in the OC of the west, not the southeast! Alicia's is in Brea, but I've noted that we apparently need to give PieceMakers a try - one of my Spring Bucket list items is to try three new restaurants, so I'll add it to the list!

      Have already started on April, so definitely, I'll be there! (And thank you again for allowing me to join in ;-)

      Delete
  4. Well done for March, Tamara! Look forward to reading about your trip to Down Under early next year as I'd like to go Fall 2018 or Winter 2019 when it's cold here and warmer down there :-) The Sentence A Day sounds like a fun challenge. I'll try to join for April to make the group more "international" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, you should definitely join, because it's not only fun, but also motivational. I mean, who wants to post a boring month, right? :-)

      Delete
  5. How cool! Wish I'd known about that virtual class at the Smithsonian!! Also, love Pop Art too! Glad to have found your blog today! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Yes, the Smithsonian web-class was terrific, and I know they do it for schools all the time, so as a teacher you should definitely check it out!

      Delete
  6. Well done, my friend. Well lived month! So glad you joined us. I appreciate all of the cultural activities you enjoy. I have never tried Pandora but that might bring some new energy to my workouts. Have been listening to books via Audible but find my mind wandering (even more than usual) at times. What a world traveler you will be in 2018. I am longing for another all inclusive beach vacation but I think this year, our pool will be our vacation spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie! Re: Pandora - listening to fast music during my workouts really brings up my energy. So much, in fact, that I will often feeling like I'm figuratively on fire! So, yes, if you are at all like me when it comes to music you should give it a try.

      Re: Cultural activities - I have enjoyed learning about Shakespeare, Broadway, Art, Classical Music and Opera immensely since retiring. Of the group, I think only Art has the potential to turn into a passion, but regardless, all four are now enjoyable outings for my husband and I.

      Re: Travel - A big, big passion of mine, now ours (thanks hubby!), we travel about 50% of the year. In fact, I just added a new page to this blog detailing where we've been, and where we are planning to go next. :-)

      Delete
  7. Love this idea! I'll have to join in with a late start for April. BTW, we leave on April 14 to start our move/drive across the country to it should provide some fodder for daily sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a very fun thing to do each day! It's very motivational, and it's terrific fun to look back and see how the month was spent. You definitely should link up for the April postings!

      Delete
  8. What a fascinating exercise. If you ever feel you aren't making good use of your time, look back at posts like this and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Bob! Sometimes I worry I'm not pushing hard enough, then I see this and I think, 'Hey, I did OK!'

      Delete