Monday, March 27, 2017

Weekend Wrap Up 3/24-3/26

As I work to live each day more consciously, I much enjoy crafting fun weekends for my spouse and myself.
Even in retirement weekends are still weekends!

We had glorious California spring weather this weekend, meaning clear blue skies and temps in the mid to high 70's - a perfect weekend, in other words, for spending as much time outside as possible.

On Friday night we joined our foreign foods dining group for al fresco dining at and Irish restaurant, Macallans Public House. If you'll recall from my last post, I was rather excited about the martini menu I'd seen online, so that was the first thing I ordered when I got to the restaurant - a cherry martini. It was delish - nice and cherry flavored without being sickly sweet. And the hubs and I shared a fish n chips plate because the servings were huge. And the company was great - we had a terrific conversation with two other couples, also retired, that looks like it will turn into a separate get together for the six of us in the not-too-distant future.

On Saturday morning, alas, I sent my husband off to the do the Metropolitan Opera - Live in HD thing alone because our office floor wood installation got pushed one day, meaning Saturday morning, and someone needed to stay back and oversee the project. Though our installers are amazing at their craft, there are always small finishing details that need to be clarified. And it ended up that there were, so I'm very glad I did stay home until the project was completed.

My husband reported back afterward that he very much enjoyed the opera event, so we'll be returning together in May to attend/watch Der Rosenkavalier by Strauss. So the verdict is still out for another couple of months on whether I'll enjoy opera or not .  .  .

Spent the rest of Saturday putting his home office back together, albeit still without countertops. In the interim, we are using random planks of wood laid out over the top of the cabinets, and while it's not terribly pretty, it is functional. I'm sure we'll get confirmation of countertop completion during our trip, so I expect it to be installed the day after we return home in late April. So something else to look forward to!

On Sunday I went for an early morning race walk, then my husband and attended our UU congregation services as usual. When we returned, several of our neighbors were out, so we gave everyone a tour of our 'new' home and then enjoyed spending time chatting and getting caught up on each other's lives.

The evening was just gorgeous, which I was particularly pleased about in that we had reservations for terrace dining at The Resort at Pelican Hill in their Colliseum Grill restaurant. This was a TravelZoo deal I bought the day after dining at another of the resort's restaurants in February. Tonight's $30 deal, included two glasses of wine, plus $50 toward our meal.


The wine was lovely, and not the house wine the TravelZoo deal said would be included. Instead we were able to select from any of the wines on the menu that were sold by the glass. So nice!

Our meal was lovely. We ordered a shared appetizer and two entrees, and came in at $50 on the nose, so $0 over our TravelZoo deal. But the very best part of the meal was the incredible views out over the resorts amazing circular pool to the ocean. And the sunset was absolutely knock-our-socks off gorgeous. So gorgeous that most of the diners got up from their seats to watch it, cameras in hand, myself included:


It was hard to pull ourselves away afterward and return home!

Plans and Goals For Today
Seven mile race walk
Pack for our trip
Weed the front and backyard
Put away front yard patio furniture
Incorporate remaining fresh produce into today's meals

4 comments:

  1. Your weekend sounded perfect and that sunset is gorgeous! It was soggy and windy weather in Toronto but I embraced it. After I did my brisk walk in the morning, I felt great and the rest of my weekend was fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I'm pretty sure come our hot July and August weather I'll be wishing I could trade places with you up there in Toronto!

      Delete
  2. What a tremendous view at dinner! That must have felt almost like a little vacation, just taking in nature at its best and enjoying good food and drink.
    Projects can be so frustrating. Our pool is becoming that way. I want things done now and done correctly. A contractor's worst nightmare. PC calls me his pit bull.
    Anxious to see how you feel about opera. I almost bought tickets for a Cinderella-themed opera here, La Cenerentolla. But just didn't know how either of us would like it. And we have promised to cut back on expenses til the pool is paid off. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As many projects as we had going, roughly seven, there were few hiccups, and even this last wasnt too disruptive given it was at the very end. So happy to be 99% finished, however, and in rush to do anything more for a good long time!

      Delete