Monday, February 13, 2017

Family Room Updating Complete


With the installation of our new Hunter Douglas shades last week, our latest Family Room update is now complete. I say 'latest' because I change something in my home - furniture, accessories, cabinetry and/or flooring - on a fairly regular basis. I'm pretty confident this tendency was inherited from my maternal grandmother. It was very common to walk into her home and discover she'd added, replaced or rearranged something since the last time I'd visited.

The biggest change out this time around was the flooring. Additionally, we decided to add window coverings to our previously unadorned French sliding doors.

BEFORE:
 Here is our family room before, with light maple floors and uncovered sliding doors.


AFTER:
 And here is the after with the new, darker flooring, and our newly installed Hunter Douglas shades fully extended.


Flooring tone is now mid-range between light and dark, leaning slightly more toward the darker side of the spectrum:

The new window coverings fully retract, which I'm so pleased about. My sliding French doors have a lovely bevel design, which you can see a bit of in the photo below, and with these fully retractable shades, they can continue to remain on display. I'm also really pleased with the fabric I chose. It has both gold and tan tonalities that  blend very well with the other elements in the room.


When we first moved into our home back in the 80's, there was a large wet bar in the far left corner where the game table now resides. Once we pulled it out, the family room seemed to double in size.


I love my leather Ottoman coffee table in the photo above, a splurge from Davenport Furniture some years back. It's one of those pieces I feel will be with me forever.

The hammered gold metal side table below, conversely, was a $69 bargain find at TJ Maxx.


The corduroy sofa with built in chaise was one of my first purchases after my girls left home for college. Sort of a welcome-to-empty-nesting gift to myself. I purchased it at a little boutique design store, and I love it as much today as I did when I first bought it some eight or so years ago. This was also the first piece of nicer furniture I'd ever bought, and I continue to be impressed with how well it is wearing over time.


I'm clearly no designer, but I do love how this room has come together over time. Lots of different textures, mixed with some fun pops of red (pillows, rugs and wall hangings) and leopard print (pillows and rugs) has culminated in a room I really enjoy spending time in.

Goals and Plans for Today
Finish touch up painting from recent remodeling work
Clean shutters (all covered in a fine layer of dust from recent floor remodeling)
Five mile racewalk
Home Depot to purchase two black light fixtures for front of the house
Schedule electrician to install above, plus the two last LED light switches (over a dozen changed out already/previously)
Schedule painter for office remodeling project
Attend Book Club dinner/discussion meeting on The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

1 comment: